Thursday, September 15, 2016

Rafting the San Juan River

It's our first night off the river and I wanted to write down every last memory before any of it slips away. This was definitely a trip of a lifetime! It'll take awhile for me to upload pictures from my real camera but I have some from my phone and Clare's phone to share now.
After 1 week of exploring "the west" it was nice to meet up with familiar faces. Time to grocery shop for a week long rafting trip! Oops! Grocery store is closed on Sunday! 
Day 1: Up at 5:30 the next morning to shop before we set out. Amazingly enough we arrived on time. The   government guy checking out permits was from AL and had a degree from Auburn, WAR EAGLE! He was giving us "the eye" since we had 8 kids and remarks "Remember, this is not a vacation... It's an expedition!" And into the water we went!!!! High winds and rapids and the fact that we've never rowed a raft before (it's not a kayak!!) slapped us in the face! I THOUGHT WE WERE ALL GOING TO DIE! Especially when we hit the first rapid, hung in a rock, had heavy wind blowing water into our faces and the boat was taking on water. But we didn't die! Eventually Gaitz got in the ducky (inflated kayak) until another gust of wind flipped him over and pushed the ducky UP river. I had to jump out to get him the ducky and the paddle! Once we finally made it to camp I couldn't eat or sleep my nerves were so shot but the kids were happy! The water at camp was gentle so the older boys took the duckies across the river to explore the canyon walls. Fossils, everywhere!
Even Clare said that their boat was dead silent this first day.... Guess we could
All sense the stress. 

Day 2: Have you ever wondered what it sounds like to cut a raft on a rock? It's not a pretty sound! Our 8:30 start turned into a 10:30 start.  Thank goodness for handy husbands that figured out how to keep a boat a float with a rip in the seam even when the glue in the patch bag from the rental company was old and junky. We decided we better shorten the trip, which meant LOTS of paddling against the wind!!!



Government rapid, the only place we made the kids get out and walk/climb around. Cory and Josh were champs navigating the rafts!!!!
Although I didn't eat much on this trip, Clare can really whip up some grub! Chicken enchiladas the first night and chicken lasagna tonight. 
Thunder and lighting storm caused us to pitch tents quickly and snuggle together reading "two little savages." Kids slept better on night 2 and the stars after the storm were  breathtaking.

Merritt hates covers even when it's chilly. When camping I always put pants on her because I know she'll kick out of the sleeping bag no matter how many times I put her back in. 

It's against the "rules" to poop along the river, therefore you have to rent a potty. It's called a "groover " and had a large G painted on the side. The other container holding the wipes and toilet paper looks the same. This company had spray painted "library" on its side. 😂

Several times today we tried to call by satellite phone to notify the pickup company we would be out a day early. Finally, climbed up higher in the canyon and spoke with my Dad. Thankfully, he got in touch with the guys. 

Day 3:
We packed camp with headlamps on and dumped all but 6 gallons of water and tossed firewood to lighten our load. (Kinda like the big guy in the book "a walk in the woods" when he tosses out all their food within the first day because his pack is too heavy 😂). We really needed to get some miles behind us before the afternoon winds set in. Also, my dad had confirmed a noon pickup with rentals and there still 14-15 more miles to go. I think the dads would have rated by the flashlight too if we had agreed. No Rapids today but sand bars!!!! They probably paddled 18 miles instead because cross crossing the river to keep from banking the boats. Not to mention the many time they jumped out and pulled us through the sand. The last 2-3 miles I put the girls in the ducky and paddled ahead a bit... helping to "scout" the sand bars but truly to just take some of the weight from Cory. 
It was chilly without the sun hitting the canyon floors so my kids wore jackets and towels on their legs. We ate snacks and lunch on the boat. We even peed off the boat as to it slow us down... Have I ever mentioned how my kids really adapt to the situation without complaining!!! I don't think any of them complained even once!! 
Pickup man said my Dad called him at 7:00 am o confirm out pickup. He also said he thought we'd never make it by noon.... More like 3:00pm. WE ARRIVED AT 12:13!!!!! Then our guys helped load all that gear and boats into the truck. Not sure how the company normally does it with "less strong" men to help ..... It was a lot of gear, heavy boats and a tall trailer but we did it!!! Ok, they did it but we cheered them on!)
SO LONG, SAN JUAN! 

Sorry this message is unorganized... So are my thoughts right now... But we're happy! 

Btw ... I'm not sure how many times I said "where's merritt?" But it became the running joke. Come to think of it... I do this all the time anyhow!!


No comments:

Post a Comment